Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Trip to the EastCoast!

Day 1-
Began at 6 am where we drive into the heart of downtown Pittsburg to Hanger Prosthetics office where we worked with 3 amputees. 2 were looking to be fitted with the Genium (same MP Knee as myself) and 1 gentleman that had the Genium for 2 weeks, but was having technical issues with it.
As my fellow amputees were fitted we were able to share our stories where 2 people were torn up by machinery they were working on, one at a saw mill and the other a steel mill. The man trying the Genium for the first time went on a good 30 minute walk with me outside on the unlevel and sketchy streets while we shared life stories with each other, something I've never had the chance to do! The 1 woman I worked with was in a motto cycle accident with her husband where a car had hit them and both had to be airlifted to the nearest hospital and the woman had the same side amputation as myself, but at the age of 47!
Let me tell you this woman was so motivated and driven and as soon as she began to walk with the Genium on she lit up the room even more!
Following the last fitting we drove straight to the hospital where we set up to give a presentation to 60+ individuals that included surgeons, prosthetists, physical therapists and aka amputees.
The presentation was a mixture of PowerPoint, speaking and demonstrating followed by Q&A. Had a great presentation then during Questions I had many people ask how to perform certain acts with the Genium and everyone loved when I performed my 1 legged squat from the floor to stand up!
I also met a fellow Powerlifter who is retired and opening up an amputee ballroom dance studio in Pittsburg, which I am so bummed I won't be able to try out due to living so far away!
We ended the night by driving up the hill to see the skyline at night.

No comments:

Post a Comment