Monday, January 14, 2013

Day 8 -- Student Teaching

Friday was my first day to take over both weights classes for first and second period. The kids treated me more like a substitute teacher rather than their real teacher, so it was very challenging for both periods. I would get everyone's eyes and ears on me to explain what we were doing and setsxreps then would let them begin after making sure they didn't have questions. Once I let them begin over half the class asked me what we were doing, said they didn't understand, and mixed up the entire workout while it was also on the whiteboard in front of them. We got through the period and afterwards I spoke to my co teacher and asked him if we could have a talk with both classes Monday before we began. He agreed that it was important for them to understand my position at the HS and what he expects of them for being my students.
Then 4-6 periods we ran a large station circuit in the main and small gym. I watched as my other co teacher explained the stations to the first class, then I took over for 5th and 6th. Most of our students were descent, but I was the group of 8th graders that we had to keep an eye on from another class that were a little reckless with the equipment.
By the end of the day Friday I had almost lost my voice from having to yell over others and to explain instructions in the gym so lesson learned on my part, never raise my voice because its easily lost or hoarse.
On the upside I made my own spicy orange chicken for lunch which was amazing!! Had my portioned boiled chicken with mustard, siracha and a little oriental sauce, ugh it was so good!!
Found myself nodding my head as I chewed every bite :)

No comments:

Post a Comment